Bioelecmed.org is a professional collaboration web site run by Bioelectronic Medicine
(“BioelecMed”), the peer-reviewed, biomedical research publication of the FEINSTEIN INSTITUTE FOR MEDICAL RESEARCH (“FIMR”). FIMR is the biomedical research arm of the North Shore-LIJ Health System in New York.
What information are we collecting and how are we collecting it?
When you use or order products or services, create a user account, post any comment or information in either a public bulletin board chat room or private collaboration workspace room, or participate in surveys from BioelecMed, we will ask you to provide personal information to complete these transactions. The types of personal information you provide to us on these pages may include contact information such as your name, address, telephone number, email address, and organizational affiliation; and other unique information such as user IDs and passwords, billing and transaction information, credit card information, product and service preferences, contact preferences, educational and employment background, and research and job interest data. In an effort to maintain the integrity of the BioelecMed network, BioelecMed may insist upon users providing verifiable information of organization affiliation and BioelecMed reserves the right to make that information available to other users of the website.
In addition to the information you provide to us, BioelecMed may also collect information during your visit to the BioelecMed Network through our automatic data collection tools (“Data Collection Tools”), which include cookies, Web beacons, embedded Web links, click-tracking technology, and other commonly used information-gathering tools. These Data Collection Tools collect certain standard information that your browser sends to our website such as your browser type and language, access times, and the address of the website from which you arrived at the BioelecMed Network. These Data Collection Tools may also collect information about your Internet Protocol (IP) address, clickstream behavior and product information. When a visitor requests a page from any web site within the BioelecMed Network, our web servers automatically recognize that visitor's domain name and IP address. The domain name and IP address reveal nothing personal about you other than the IP address from which you have accessed our site. BioelecMed may also collect information from credible third party commercially available sources. This information may include your name, address, email address, research interests, and demographic data which may be used along with the information BioelecMed collects when you visit the BioelecMed Network.
How do we use your information?
BioelecMed collects information to better understand your needs and interests to help deliver a consistent and personalized experience on the BioelecMed Network. As a condition of using or accessing software from the BioelecMed Network, you consent to being contacted by BioelecMed, its representatives, or agents, to provide you with information about our other products and/or services that we think may be of interest to you. We will give you the opportunity to choose your privacy preferences regarding the communications we send (see below – How do I Select Privacy Preferences). Credit card information is used only for payment processing and fraud prevention. Credit card information and other sensitive personal information required to process a credit decision is not used for any other purpose by our financial services providers or BioelecMed and will not be kept longer than necessary for providing the services, unless you ask us to retain your credit card information for future purchases.
What are cookies and how do we use them?
We strongly encourage you not to disable cookies with respect to the BioelecMed network because it will eliminate your ability to access content. For example, members will not be able to sign in to their account and access the additional features therein.
Do we use pop-up screens?
No, the BioelecMed network does not use pop-up screens, therefore disabling pop-up screens on your browsers will not affect your BioelecMed experience.
What are web beacons and how do we use them?
Some parts of the BioelecMed Network may use Web beacons alone or in conjunction with cookies to compile information about your website usage and your interaction with email. A Web beacon is an electronic image, called a single-pixel (1x1) or clear GIF. Web beacons can recognize certain types of information on your computer such as cookies, the time and date of a page viewed, and a description of the page where the Web beacon is placed. You may be able to disable Web beacons in email messages by not downloading images contained in the message you receive (this feature varies depending on the email software used on your personal computer). However, doing this may not always disable a Web beacon or other automatic data collection tools in the email message due to specific email software capabilities. If you choose to receive marketing emails or newsletters from BioelecMed we may automatically collect personal information about you. For example, through Web beacons and personalized URLs embedded in these emails or newsletters, BioelecMed can track whether you’ve opened those messages and whether you’ve clicked on links contained within those messages. For more information on embedded Web links, see below.
What are embedded web links and how do we use them?
Some emails from BioelecMed may use links designed to lead you to a relevant area on the Web. The redirection system allows BioelecMed to change the destination URL of these links, if necessary, and to determine the effectiveness of our marketing initiatives. In emails, such web links may also allow BioelecMed to determine whether you have clicked a link in an email, and this information about the interaction may be connected to your personal identity. If you do not want BioelecMed to collect information about the links that you click, you can: (1) change your choice about how you receive communications from BioelecMed (i.e. choose a text-based version of the message where available); or (2) choose not to click links in an email that BioelecMed sends.
Will we disclose the information we collect to outside third parties?
(1) BioelecMed intends to prohibit anonymous postings on the Web site. Therefore, personal information will be shared with anyone who will have access to any postings that you make within the BioelecMed nework.For example, if you make a posting in a public bulletin board and/or chat room, anyone who has authority to access this bulletin board and/or chat room will have the ability to access your information as publically shared in the BioelecMed network. Similarly, if you make a posting in a private collaboration workspace, anyone who has access to that private collaborative workspace will have access to any postings that you make and any personal information regarding you that is publicly shared. It is the workspace administrator, not BioelecMed, who will be responsible for determining who may have access to a private collaboration workspace or chat room. BioelecMed is not responsible for decisions made by any administrator. To the extent that you have an objection please see notice and takedown procedure at: http://bioelecmed.org/TAKEDOWN.
(2) Because BioelecMed intends to make the collaboration a safe community, it may share information submitted by the user to verify the accuracy or completeness of organizational affiliation of users and therefore, share that information with organizations identified as being affiliated with the user.
(3) BioelecMed may sell to third parties the rights to advertise to groups or individual users.
(4) BioelecMed retains service providers and suppliers to deliver complete products, services and customer solutions and to assist BioelecMed with marketing and communication initiatives. These providers and suppliers include, for example, professional networking software providers, credit card processors, providers of customer support and live-help, email service providers, automated data processors, and shipping agents. Suppliers and service providers are required to keep confidential the information received on behalf of BioelecMed and may not use it for any purpose other than to carry out the services they are performing for BioelecMed.
How do I select privacy preferences?
You may opt out of receiving communications from BioelecMed by using one of the following methods:
(1) Select the email "opt out" or "unsubscribe" link, or follow the opt-out instructions included in each email communication. For detailed instructions see http://bioelecmed.org/OPTOUT
(2) Return to the BioelecMed Web page(s) where your account is located and select your preferences to opt-out. These are located in BioelecMed sub-navigation bar “privacy” and sub-navigation bar “notifications”.
(3) Send an email to email@example.com indicating your desire to opt out. An email will be returned to you with step-by-step instructions on how to opt out.
Please note that when you opt out of receiving certain communications, it may affect the services you have chosen to receive from BioelecMed where accepting the communications is a condition of receiving the services.
How do we keep your personal information secure?
To prevent unauthorized access or disclosure, to maintain data accuracy, and to ensure the appropriate use of the information, BioelecMed utilizes appropriate physical, technical and administrative procedures to safeguard the information we collect.
Our postal address is:
350 Community Drive
Manhasset, NY 11030 USA
We can be reached via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
We can be reached by telephone at 1-516-562-2114.